How to engage new and more diverse audiences? This is the great challenge of cultural institutions today. Audience research shows that only very few people in Germany participate in publicly financed art and culture. However, no matter if financed publicly or privately, art and culture need an audience, today and in the future.
But what to do if the traditional audience gradually ages, while younger audiences fail to thrive? How to attract people from other social segments, countries or cultures that haven’t engaged in an institution’s programme so far? What to do in order to reach a larger audience, regionally, nationally or even internationally? How can the audience be placed at the centre of a cultural institution’s activity, enabling a user experience that makes the audience happy and loyal, in a highly competitive market? How to provide for more relevance and legitimation of a cultural institution in society, and thus to make it better prepared for the future?
Having constantly increased importance over the years, Audience Development is a strategic management task in cultural institutions to make audiences happy and loyal, and cultural institutions more competitive and resilient.
I provide leaders of cultural institutions with strategic consulting in non-digital and digital marketing and communications to develop new and engage existing audiences. I contribute my vast international work experience including highly the competitive sectors of manufacturing and trade.
The services I offer:
- Audience research, analysis and insights (including market research or focus group testing)
- Strategy development (vision and mission development, target group segmentation, programme development and prototyping, timing, budgets)
- Creation of marketing and communications programme to develop and engage audiences by creating an engaging user experience
- Internal process guidance (facilitation, inhouse-consulting, auditing)
- Interim management (internal project leadership)
- External project management and implementation
- Leadership and team coaching
- Evaluation and controlling (including testing)
Image: Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung